Epidemiologic Analysis Using R
This course will teach public health researchers and epidemiologists how to use the R statistical computing platform to do epidemiologic analysis. The material is intended for students or practitioners who want to use R to apply the basic epidemiological or biostatistical methods they have learned or are currently learning. Participants will construct, manipulate, and analyze data objects, addressing issues commonly encountered in epidemiologic research.
The overall goal is to introduce students to programming skills so they can (1) develop their own tools to apply epidemiologic methods, and (2) use those tools to answer epidemiologic questions.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand R data objects and how they relate to common epidemiological tasks
- Know how to read in, index and manipulate data objects in R
- Calculate rates, ratios, risks and their associated confidence intervals and p values in R
- Plot simple graphics
- Write their own R functions
- Find, install, and use R packages for other tasks not explicitly covered in class